February 27, 2013

Review: The Watcher

The Watcher by Lisa Voisin
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Paranormal
Release Date: March 4th 2013
Buy Links:

*I received this ARC from Inkspell

Book Description:

Millennia ago, he fell from heaven for her.

Can he face her without falling again?

Fascinated with ancient civilizations, seventeen-year-old Mia Crawford dreams of becoming an archaeologist. She also dreams of wings—soft and silent like snow—and somebody trying to steal them.

When a horrible creature appears out of thin air and attacks her, she knows Michael Fontaine is involved, though he claims to know nothing about it. Secretive and aloof, Michael evokes feelings in Mia that she doesn’t understand. Images of another time and place haunt her. She recognizes them—but not from any textbook.

In search of the truth, Mia discovers a past life of forbidden love, jealousy and revenge that tore an angel from Heaven and sent her to an early grave. Now that her soul has returned, does she have a chance at loving that angel again? Or will an age-old nemesis destroy them both?

Ancient history is only the beginning.

♥ ♥ ♥


I love this book!

I want to draw pink fluffy hearts around this book. When I was originally approached by Inkspell Publishing about reviewing an ARC of The Watcher I said yes because the cover is simply breathtaking. It might be silly to literally judge a book by its cover, but it’s always the first thing that I notice. Plus who doesn’t love angels? I mean really hot godlike creatures with wings? I’m swooning as I write this.

Mia Crawford is an amazing character, she might actually be one of my all-time favorites and that is saying a lot because I read more books than are probably healthy for me. Not only is she relatable, but she has this passion for knowledge and discovering the truth that I envy. Lisa Voisin has talent spilling from her hands with this story and you can tell it’s well researched. (Though I doubt many people have heard of the Book of Enoch, but I’m strange so I have.)

Voisin’s writing draws you in and right from the beginning you’re thrown into the thick of things and I love it. My problem with a lot of stories is they slow down so much that they get boring and it takes me forever to read because the story just doesn’t grab me. But The Watcher dug its hooks into me from the very first chapter on and I couldn’t put it down.

I adore the way Mia is written. She has just enough teenager in her that you can relate to her worries for friends and school, but not enough that you want to slap her and rant about how annoying she is. There is a balance between the two and Voisin has found it.

I’m pretty sure I enjoyed every character in this book and oh my god I totally want my own Michael! Michael Fontaine isn’t just the new kid at school, he’s a walking mystery and he has a secret that involves Mia. I really don’t want to give too much of this story away because I think it should be read with no real knowledge of what’s going on because it makes it that much more surprising when things pop up at you.

The ending honestly stunned me. I saw it going a different way completely and them BAM…twist! It was amazing. I sat there staring at my Kindle Fire when it was done and repeatedly swiped my finger across the screen, like, that’s it? There’s no more? Must have more! This is honestly the best book I’ve read in a long time and I urge my fellow bloggers and young adult readers to check it out!



♥ ♥ ♥


Author Bio:

After studying English literature at the University of Toronto and creative writing at Simon Fraser University, Lisa Voisin had the great fortune of being mentored by Nancy Richler and A.M. Dellamonica through Betsy Warland's Vancouver Manuscript Intensive solo program. She is also a teacher of meditation with the Training in Power Academy A member of the SCBWI (Society for Children's Book Writers and Illustrators), she can usually be found writing at a local cafe in her home town of Vancouver, B.C. A self-proclaimed coffee lover, when Lisa's not writing, you'll find her meditating in the mountains to counteract the side effects of drinking too much caffeine!



No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear from readers so share your thoughts with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...