April 24, 2014

Review: The Landfill

The Landfill by Kevin Hopson
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Horror
Release Date: April 2, 2014
Buy Links:

AmazonBarnes and Noble

Book Description:

Billy, a high school senior, has lost a lot in the past year, including his younger sister, Sara. Billy lacks excitement and purpose in life until his curiosity takes him and his best friend, Connor, to an old, abandoned landfill along the river.

Connor would rather forget the experience, but Billy can’t help but feel invigorated by their findings.

Taking it upon himself to uncover the mystery, Billy finds his life coming full circle – but is that a good or bad thing?




♥ ♥ ♥

"The Landfill" is a short story by Kevin Hopson. Now, normally I don't make a habit of reading a lot of short stories (at least not since they were assigned in college) since I'm mostly a novel and series kind of girl, but the description for this story seemed creepy enough to rouse my interest. And I'm pleased to say that it did maintain that interest while I was reading it.

Obviously, since it is a short story it's a very quick read. "The Landfill" totals at a little over 30 pages, and I was able to read it all in one sitting. The language Hopson uses is clear and direct, which also made it an easy read.



As you could probably have guessed from the title, this story has to do with a mysterious landfill. Our main character, Billy is a high school student who lets his curious nature get the best of him sometimes, and once the landfill catches his eye he wants to check it out. His friend thinks he's just doing this to keep his mind off of the one year anniversary of Billy's sister's death, and decides to go along and check out the landfill with him one night.

Since this is a fiction story, of course there is more to the landfill that meets the eye. What the boys find that night is suspicious enough to weird them both out, and the reader is introduced to a mystery. Even dolls are involved with the story of the landfill, and as anyone who's ever seen a horror film with dolls knows- dolls make everything at least ten times creepier.

I was intrigued to see how the mystery of the landfill and the dolls was going to turn out, and it kept me turning the pages. The only thing I had a problem with with "The Landfill" was the ending seemed abrupt to me. We learn the secret of the landfill with a bit of a horror story aspect, and then it's over. I'm sure Hopson wanted the reader to be left with a bit of a chilling aftertaste once he or she finished, and that was what happened. However, I still think there could have been at least a few more pages to end it.

Even though the ending wasn't completely satisfactory to me, I would still recommend this story. As I've said, it's a quick and easy read that doesn't take up a lot of your time and it's entertaining.



♥ ♥ ♥


Author Bio:

Prior to hitting the fiction scene in 2009, I was a freelance writer for several years, covering everything from finance to sports. My debut work, World of Ash, was released by MuseItUp Publishing in the fall of 2010, and I have had several other books released by MIU since then. I have also been published in a number of magazines and anthology books. My writing covers a variety of genres, including horror & dark fiction, science fiction, and crime fiction.



No comments:

Post a Comment

We always love to hear from readers so share your thoughts with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...